5 Tips to Enhance Magento 2 Security
Ecommerce niche is the most prone to security threats in the world of Internet due to the involvement of money transactions and critical data exchanges. Among the leading ecommerce platforms, Magento is king and most active on the front of improved performance with the pace of time.
Therefore, by keeping the eyes on trends and needs of industries, Magento ecommerce platform had taken adequate measures to combat the security threats upfront in series of new versions of Magento 2.
Built-in Security Measures in Magento 2.0 Versions
- They have resolved an issue with persistent cross-site scripting through user accounts
- Limited password attempts permitting guessing passwords
- Set need to configure anonymous user access to Store, Catalog, and CMS APIs to require higher permissions
- Arbitrary PHP code execution has prevented
- Strengthened encryption keys
- Prevented reflected XSS
- Forbidden authenticated customer change by other customers
- Prevented retrieval of private data of registered users by anonymous users
- Prevented minimum privileged users to force Magento re-installation
- Prevented Magento installation code accessibility once installation finished
- Closed internal path of information during Magento installation process
- Made unavailable the admin URL during setup for unauthenticated users
Tips to Enhance Magento 2.0 Security
Apart from the built-in security measures, Magento 2.0 ecommerce security can be enhanced by some best security practices during and after the Magento 2.0 storefront development.
Therefore, let’s check the scope of security measures to protect stores against the most prevalent threats in the current scenario on the web-o-sphere.
Provide Highly Secure Hosting Environment
Building a secure Magento ecommerce web store is not a guarantee to run a secure online store always. It is secure hosting environment with additional security measures can grant total security for a longer period. Therefore, select a dedicated hosting plan with a reliable and preferred hosting services provider.Unfortunately, not all ecommerce vendors have technical abilities to judge web server or cloud hosting provider according to their needs. If you go for high, you might have spent extra on unnecessary provisions. If you go for low, your security might have threatened at any moment.Thus, it is the best way to consult experienced and expert ecommerce development team to get righteous guidance.
Use Safe Protocol
It is better you prefer to launch your web storefront on HTTPs instead of HTTP alone. It may grant your site an additional security and rank in the SERPs. To manage file communication, use secure communication protocols such as SSH and SFTP besides HTTPs.
Apply Secure Server Management
Server security software and patches are critical for Magento ecommerce security. Therefore, implement it and at your store level as well as compel your hosting provider to accommodate for your storefront, if possible in dedicated or VPN server environment.If you are using third party software or extensions in your Magento 2.0 store or rely on third party services anyhow, use it all with adequate precautions and follow their given guidelines. The best way is that use such third party assistance in minimum number to reduce security threats.Another best practice is to use automatic log review tools for suspicious activities and check it upfront to prevent system in advance.
Apply Secure Authentication Practices
Despite built-in protection for admin URL and authentication system, we need to be careful regarding user access related practices such as:
- We must use strong and unpredictable password to save from security breaches related to authentication and user access
- Try to allocate user permission in the safe and dependable hands
- Always try to use correct file permissions to avoid data stealing or manipulation
- It is better you use ‘two-factor’ authentication system for remote accesses and maximize security
Magento 2.0 is offering disaster management plan creation and implementation facilities so use it. Try to improve your recovery plan using given tools in Magento 2.0.Collaborate with your hosting providers for secure and reliable backup, if possible use cloud storage services. Moreover, test your backup of the website regularly to ensure satisfactory recovery or restoration.
It is true that security is critical issue for any ecommerce platform, and Magento is the most alert and active platform in this regard. Therefore, Magento 2.0, in its subsequent versions has improved its security features and taken required precautions in the updates.
Despite such high-end efforts, Magento 2.0 storefront owners should take some precautionary measures to mitigate many potential security threats upfront, which we have explored in the post. However, it is not possible to take such safety steps at Magento 2.0 website owners’ level, so it is imperative to involve Magento developer or a team, which is experienced in Magento security aspects.
Fortunately, Krish TechnoLab has such impeccable team of Magento 2.0 developers to serve you the best ways and best with the price tags.