Do you need to switch from Magento Community to Magento Enterprise Edition? Read on!!!
Many eCommerce store owners who have experience with the Magento Community edition often think whether it is the right move to make to switch over to the Enterprise edition. By looking it at the features of the Enterprise edition, they often wonder whether to recommend it to other clients or not. After all, these store owners have many years of experience with the community edition and often feel that it would be cheaper to use a community edition in addition with a full page cache solution.
However, the fact remains that the Enterprise Edition is extensively used, so let us try to understand the reasons why many eCommerce merchants world over are choosing the Enterprise Edition over the Community Edition. This is despite the $15,550 cost of the Enterprise Edition.
Comparing the pro and cons of the enterprise edition vis-a-vis community edition, we find that the pros are weighed in favor of Magento Enterprise edition. The jump from Community edition to the Enterprise edition does require a small investment, but the returns are absolutely worth it. The ROI can be easily recovered with the help of smart use of the additional features offered through the eCommerce platform. Some of the reasons of making the switch are portrayed below:
- Much better customization capabilities
- Facility of large product catalogs
- Ability to handle gift card payments
- Professional as well as full-time support from Magento
- Constant updating and research for better platform
- Enhanced and improved security features
- Consulting services as well as support
- Content Staging and Merging
- Advanced Access Control List (ACL)
It is not being suggested that every eCommerce store running on the Magento Community should upgrade to the Enterprise Edition. In fact, the community edition is still a great tool for some retail stores. However, many stores have out grown the features that the Community Edition provides. In case of such stores, Magento Enterprise has all the bells and whistles that they would be needed for the growth and prosperity of their eCommerce business. Some of these features include:
- Easy integration with 3rd party applications (such as ERP & CRM)
- Flexible product/catalog management and presentation
- Comprehensive admin capabilities
- Customizable marketing and merchandising tools
- Increasing order value with up-sell and cross-sell
- Superior storefronts for specific customer groups
- Private Sales, Events, and Invitations
- Customer Segmentation
- Loyalty System
- CMS + Content Management Engine
- Automated Email Marketing Reminders
- Full Page Caching
- SOLR Search
- Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA)
- Persistent Shopping Cart
- Minimum Advertised
Hence, if you want to consider Magento Enterprise over Magento Community, consider the fact that it is really a great product and certainly has a lot of great features. However, you will have to wait till your store reaches the level at which it becomes necessary to migrate to a more advanced platform that can assist you in making the best use of the features that it has to offer.