Magento Commerce 2.2.2: The Latest Magento Release, New Features, and Fixes
Magento released the latest version of Magento 2.2.2 on December 12 – so which are the new features included in this release! This release includes new tools and numerous functional fixes and enhancements, plus a substantial number of contributions from the overall Magento community.
All the features listed were implemented both in the Open Source as well as in the Commerce versions. Here are the Key Highlights:
- Significant new features that streamline the customer experience and provide Magento merchants with greater insight into their online business.
- Store enhancements with core features, including various improvements in the payment process.
- Numerous bug fixes submitted by the community and multiple pull requests.
Below, we’re going to elaborate the new features and improvements in the Magento 2.2.2 release for Magento Commerce.
1. Advanced Reporting powered by Magento Business Intelligence.
The new Advanced Reporting provides fast access to easy-to-use order, product, and customer reports. To use this, you will need three things: A real domain name, HTTPS with a valid certificate, and a successful subscription to the Advanced Reporting. The report data is updated daily and shows different date ranges – from a single day to 2 years – and the reports have been specifically designed for business users, featuring vital metrics and visualizations. 20 reports are delivered through a simple web interface in the admin, via three pre-configured dashboards:
- Orders: number of orders, revenue, AOV, taxes, and shipping fees collected
- Customers: registered accounts, unique customers, key metrics by customer
- Products: quantity ordered and bestselling products by revenue and volume
2. Magento Shipping
This new feature provides integrated advanced multi-carrier shipping and fulfillment via Premier Technology Partner for Shipping & Fulfillment, Temando.
The integration removes the need and confusion of using multiple extensions, allowing merchants to fully manage all shipping tasks, such as fulfillment rules or comparing shipping prices across carriers, using a single tool in the admin.
3. Streamlined Instant Purchase checkout
This is now a standard feature and available in Magento Commerce 2.2.2. Returning customers can now have a faster checkout experience by using previously-stored payment credentials and shipping information to skip cumbersome checkout steps. When a customer selects the ‘Instant Purchase’ button, they are immediately taken to a confirmation page where they can place the order, without the need to enter address or payment information.
We have tested Instant Purchase and found that it can shorten an order time by more than 90% and is, therefore, an ideal solution for those looking to increase mobile conversions. Instant Purchase checkout works with Braintree Vault, available with Braintree Credit Card, Braintree PayPal, and PayPal Payflow Pro.
4. Integrated dotmailer marketing automation software.
Magento is one of the first ecommerce solutions to include the dotmailer marketing automation with their core product. Merchants are now able to easily set up and start creating campaigns with dotmailer email marketing software. Dotmailer is a Premier Magento Partner servicing over 4,000 B2B and B2C brands across 150 countries. Features of the software include advanced segmentation and personalization capabilities, drag-and-drop editor, live support, and compatibility with Magento attributes to create highly targeted campaigns. The software also supports automated campaigns through multiple channels and can manage transactional emails for Magento stores.
5. Magento Functional Testing Framework.
The Magento Functional Testing Framework (MTFT) is an open-source, cross-platform testing solution that facilitates functional, time-efficient testing and regression testing.
Other Major Fixes and Additions Include:
1. Significant enhancements for payment methods. Now Indian Rupee (INR) will be supported with PayPal Express Checkout. And a fix for an issue where some Braintree refunds did not work.
2. Improvements to multi-storeview sites. Switching store views multiple times will no longer result in an error on the storefront.
3. New functionality for the command-line interface. Added interactivity to the admin:user:create command and added the ability to handle CLI setup interactively (with prompts).
4. You can now use the Enter key (in addition to a mouse click) to search tables in the Admin.
5. Magento no longer creates duplicate shipments when merchants create shipments with bundled products via API.
To know even more about the new release and features, feel free to read the official Magento 2.2.2 release notes here.
Krish TechnoLabs is a professional Magento Solutions Partner and Magento 2 Trained Solution Partner with 35+ certified Magento experts. Get in touch with us to upgrade your current Magento store to the newly launched Magento Commerce 2.2.2 with little to no downtime or to migrate your website from another eCommerce platform to Magento 2.x version.