What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Magento?
Today, Magento is a popular ecommerce shopping cart on the market. Since its inception a lot has been talked and written about it. And the questions that are discussed over and over again are – Is Magento the right platform for me? What are the advantages and disadvantages of Magento compared to other ecommerce platforms?
Magento came out to be as one of the most robust, flexible and scalable open source ecommerce platforms on the market. Magento offers an extensive array of powerful tools for building and managing your online store. Like any other shopping cart it has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Varian the company that supports Magento is very active in updating the code & fixing the bugs bringing in a bit of surprise for both the developers and the store owners.
- Magento has a large and talented community of users, Magento developers and service providers across the world.
- Magento is continuously evolving and stuffed with features like Magento Templates, Add-ons, Magento Modules and Widgets, both free and commercial.
- Magento offers countless Templates and Themes, enabling both the store owners and Magento designers to customize the look and feel and even optimize it for the smartphones (optional).
- Heavily layered and complex coding style makes Magento fairly slow. Also with thousands of files it consumes plenty of time during customization making it difficult for the store owners to edit/customize the store by themselves.
- Magento requires high speed dedicated server from particular hosting providers for smooth and fast running of your e-store adding extra to your expenditure.
- Currently the technical documentation is very limited making it difficult to customize and revise the programming in Magento beyond graphical alteration.
Hope this was handy!! If you had any hands-on experience with Magento please share your viewpoint in the comment section below.